Friday, September 18, 2015

Workshops


Coping with Stage Fright and How to Speak in Public


The last two wednesdays I participate in a workshop with the art teacher. Before the workshop I was very anxious about this activity because I wondered about the activities that I was going to do there. My expectations were learn to dominate my nervous when I am in front of a class, learn how to be the authority in the class, and how speak correctly in a class. The first day of this workshop I was very nervous but the teacher was so dynamic and cheerful that I felt comfortable there. Moreover, I know all of my classmates because we have been in the same classes for months so I felt almost relax.

During this workshop I participated in many activities and I really enjoy it. First, we present us making a movement and was very funny. Then we walked in a circle and we make mimics to our classmates. I could complete this activity; however, it was very difficult to be make the three movements that we had to make. This was the first activity in which I started to socialize with all of my classmates and that helped me a lot to feel comfortable. Besides, there was another activity in which I participate and this was to be the mirror of one of my classmates. It was very funny because I did everything that my other classmate did and some things were not common at all.

Moreover, we practice a 
little about the proyection of the voice since this is a very important aspect to take into account when teacher are working with large groups of students. So, the time to speak in front of a class came and I started to feel nervous, and kind of shy. Even though, I know all of my classmates I still feel nervous. The purpose of this activity was to manage the space of the classroom and the volume of my voice. I did this activity but I had some problems at the time speak because the volume of my voice was not correct and the management of the space needed improvement. These aspects were pointed out by the teacher and he explained to me how I can improve those aspects. That was the first day of the workshop but the second day my job was tell a story and try not to repeat the errors that I had the first time. I have to say that I feel nervous again but I could speak better this time so I feel happy about it. However, another aspects showed up and this was the use of fillers. The teacher explained us that when we are working with children it is necessary that teachers speak clear and secure.


All the activities that I perform in this workshops were very useful for me because they helped me improve some aspects. For example; the tone of my voice when I am teaching a class with many students. The proyection of the voice vary inside the classrooms, and this depend of how many students you have. The voice of a teacher should be clear and audible for every students. Moreover, the way you stand in front of a class it is very important because students can perceive your nervousness. Moreover, I learnt that the teacher is the one that control the group of students not the other way around. This is something that I will keep in mind when the time to be a teacher comes. Children are very smart and they must feel identify with you and see you as their friends instead of an old, strict person. Moreover, I learnt how to stand correctly in front of a class and how we can control that class. These two workshops helped a lot and I am happy because I was part of it. I spent I very nice time with classmates and I learnt something of each of them.   


1 comment:

  1. It's good to know that your learned while having fun Susan! Go and try to let your students experience the same feeling...

    ReplyDelete